- •A comprehensive overview of a novel management option for a patient with thoracic aortic aneurysm and a connective tissue aortopathy: Personalized External Aortic Root Support (PEARS).
- •Includes a description of the key principles of patient selection, surgical steps and postoperative care.
- •Detailed figures describing the implantation of a PEARS device with complementary video clips.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Operative Techniques in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
- Valve-sparing aortic root surgery in children and adults with congenital heart disease.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2020;
- Manufacturing and placing a bespoke support for the Marfan aortic root: Description of the method and technical results and status at one year for the first ten patients.Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2010; 10: 360-365
- Surgical management of aortic root disease in Marfan syndrome: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Heart (British Cardiac Society). 2011; 97: 955-958
- ESC Guidelines on the diagnosis and treatment of aortic diseases: Document covering acute and chronic aortic diseases of the thoracic and abdominal aorta of the adult. The Task Force for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Aortic Diseases of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC).Eur Heart J. 2014; 35: 2873-2926
- A method for early evaluation of a recently introduced technology by deriving a comparative group from existing clinical data: A case study in external support of the Marfan aortic root.BMJ Open. 2012; 2e000725
- External aortic support for people with Marfan's syndrome.BMJ (Clinical research ed). 2010; 340: c1692
- External aortic root support: NICE guidance.Heart (British Cardiac Society). 2012; 98: 65-68
Treasure T, Takkenberg JJM, Golesworthy T, et al. Personalised external aortic root support (PEARS) in Marfan syndrome: analysis of 1–9 year outcomes by intention-to-treat in a cohort of the first 30 consecutive patients to receive a novel tissue and valve-conserving procedure, compared with the published results of aortic root replacement. 2014;100:969-75.
- Personalized external aortic root support: A review of the current status.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2016; 50: 400-404
- External aortic root support: A histological and mechanical study in sheep.Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2013; 17: 334-339
- Personalised External Aortic Root Support (PEARS): Utilisation in dilatational aortopathies after the arterial switch operation V4.Int J Cardiol. 2016; 220: 772-774
- Histology of a Marfan aorta 4.5 years after personalized external aortic root support.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2015; 48: 502-505
- Personalised External Aortic Root Support (PEARS) compared with alternatives for people with life-threatening genetically determined aneurysms of the aortic root.Diseases (Basel, Switzerland). 2015; 3: 2-14
Funding: This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial or not-for-profit sectors.