Heart-lung transplantation (HLT) frequency has decreased over the years due to the fact that most right-sided heart failure can recover without heart-lung transplantation. However, there is still a subset of the patient population suffering from end-stage cardiopulmonary disease who would benefit from combined heart-lung transplantation. The main indication for continues to be pulmonary hypertension due to idiopathic pulmonary arterial hypertension or secondary to congenital heart disease, accounting for 60%-70% of heart-lung transplants during the past 3 decades. This paper provided updated detailed illustrated technique for combined pediatric and adult heart-lung transplantation practiced at Stanford University School of Medicine and Lucile Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford. A total of, 185 of combined heart-lung transplants have performed at our institution since 1990.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Operative Techniques in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Heart-Lung transplantation: Successful therapy for patients with pulmonary vascular disease.N Engl J Med. 1982; 306: 557-564
- Pediatric heart-lung transplantation: A contemporary analysis of outcomes.Pediatr Transplant. 2020; 24: e13682
- Current status of domino heart transplantation.J Card Surg. 2017; 32: 229-2324
- Heart-Lung Transplantation.Operative Techniques in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery. 1999; 4: 124-141
- The registry of the international society for heart and lung transplantation: Thirty-fifth adult lung and heart-lung transplant report–2018; focus theme: Multiorgan transplantation.J Heart Lung Transplant. 2018; 37: 1169-1183
- Operative techniques and pitfalls in Donor Heart-Lung Procurement.Transplant Proceedings. 2018; 50: 3111-3112
- Heart-lung indication: Adult indications and outcomes.J Thorac Dis. 2014; 6: 1138-1142
Published online: June 10, 2022
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.