- •Surgical unroofing via standard median sternotomy or minimally invasive approaches stands as an effective treatment for symptomatic and hemodynamically significant myocardial bridges.
Myocardial bridges (MB) are a congenital variant in which an epicardial coronary artery—most commonly the left anterior descending (LAD)—is contained within an intramyocardial segment. The clinical significance of this lesion varies from no symptoms to debilitating angina, ventricular arrhythmia, and even sudden cardiac arrest Traditionally difficult to diagnose, symptomatic myocardial bridges remain an elusive entity with a lack of clarity regarding medical treatment and surgical indications. Importantly, studies have shown that with appropriate patient selection, MB unroofing is an effective treatment for symptomatic lesions, in both the adult and pediatric populations. This article describes the pre-operative evaluation and the surgical approach for myocardial bridges.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Operative Techniques in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Update on myocardial bridging.Circulation. 2002; 106: 2616-2622
- Myocardial bridges and ischemic heart disease.Eur Heart J. 1980; 1: 239-245
- Myocardial bridging: a congenital variant as an anatomic risk factor for myocardial infarction?.Circulation. 2009; 120: 357-359
- Exercise-induced ventricular tachycardia in association with a myocardial bridge.Chest. 1991; 99: 1295-1296
- Myocardial stunning associated with a myocardial bridge.Int J Cardiol. 2002; 82: 65-67
- Myocardial bridging in a young patient with sudden death.Clin Cardiol. 1997; 20: 581-583
- Surgical unroofing of hemodynamically significant myocardial bridges in a pediatric population.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2018; 156: 1618-1626
- Surgical unroofing of hemodynamically significant left anterior descending myocardial bridges.Ann Thorac Surg. 2017; 103: 1443-1450
- Clinical outcomes of surgical unroofing of myocardial bridging in symptomatic patients.Ann Thorac Surg. 2020; 109: 452-457
- The prevalence and anatomical patterns of intramuscular coronary arteries: a coronary computed tomography angiographic study.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2007; 49: 587-593
- Update on Myocardial Bridging.Circulation. 2002; 106: 2616-2622https://doi.org/10.1161/01.CIR.0000038420.14867.7A
- Cardiac CT angiography in the assessment of myocardial bridges: anatomic and functional correlations to intravascular ultrasound and invasive diastolic fractional flow reserve.Circ J. 2017; 81: 1894-1900
- Invasive assessment of myocardial bridging in patients with angina and no obstructive coronary artery disease.EuroIntervention. 2021; 16: 1070-1078
- Accuracy of a novel stress echocardiography pattern for myocardial bridging in patients with angina and no obstructive coronary artery disease – a retrospective and prospective cohort study.Int J Cardiol. 2020; 311: 107-113
- A novel stress echocardiography pattern for myocardial bridge with invasive structural and hemodynamic correlation.J Am Heart Assoc. 2013; 2e000097https://doi.org/10.1161/JAHA.113.000097
- Off-pump minithoracotomy versus sternotomy for left anterior descending myocardial bridge unroofing.Ann Thorac Surg. 2020; S0003-4975 (32111-1)
- Robotic totally endoscopic off-pump unroofing of left anterior descending coronary artery myocardial bridge: a report of two cases.J Card Surg. 2019; 34: 735-737https://doi.org/10.1111/jocs.14094
- Development and evaluation of the Seattle Angina Questionnaire: a new functional status measure for coronary artery disease.J Am Coll Cardiol. 1995; 25: 333-341
- Surgical treatment of myocardial bridging: report of 31 cases.Chin Med J (Engl). 2007; 20 ([PubMed: 17935671]): 1689-1693
- Is coronary artery bypass grafting an acceptable alternative to myotomy for the treatment of myocardial bridging?.Interactive cardiovascular and thoracic surgery. 2013; 16 ([PubMed: 23171516]): 347-349
Published online: August 19, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
Conflict of Interest: None
© 2022 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.