Ductal origin of the pulmonary artery is a rare cardiovascular anomaly; it is often mislabeled as absent pulmonary artery or pulmonary artery agenesis resulting in delayed interventions. We present a case of ductal origin of the right pulmonary artery highlighting the need for early detection and prompt intervention to reestablish perfusion to the lung. This approach allows for continued lung development and reduces the morbidity related to single lung physiology. The aim of this article is to describe a refinement in the operative technique used in the reconstruction of the ductal origin of the right pulmonary artery via creation of an interposition homograft roll for centralization.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Operative Techniques in Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Pulmonary artery resuscitation for isolated ductal origin of pulmonary artery.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2014; 148: 2235-2244https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtcvs.2013.11.041
- Pediatric case of ductal origin of right pulmonary artery presenting with exertional dyspnea and mimicking asthma and primary ciliary dyskinesia.BMJ Case Rep. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1136/bcr-2016-218885
- Isolated hypoplasia of pulmonary artery with agenesis of left lobe of thyroid: A case report.J Clin and Diagn Res. 2016; 10: SD04-SD05https://doi.org/10.7860/JCDR/2016/23224.9093
- Isolated pulmonary artery arising from a duct: A single-center review of diagnostic and therapeutic strategies.J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2014; 148: 2245-2252https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtcvs.2013.11.047
- Discontinuous pulmonary artery: Utility of computed tomographic angiography and lung perfusion scan in management.World J Pediatr Congen Heart Surg. 2017; 8: 106-110https://doi.org/10.1177/2150135115618871
- Early single-stage surgical revascularization of pulmonary artery in unilateral absence of a pulmonary artery.J Cardiothorac Surg. 2021; 16: 80https://doi.org/10.1186/s13019-021-01481-3
- Comparison between patent ductus arteriosus stent and modified blalock-taussig shunt as palliation for infants with ductal-dependent pulmonary blood flow: Insights from the congenital catheterization research collaborative.J Circulation. 2018; 136: 589-601https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.117.029987
- Biological responses in stented arteries.Cardiovasc Res. 2013; 99: 353-363https://doi.org/10.1093/cvr/cvt115
Published online: February 28, 2023
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
No funding sources.
Disclosures: Sujata Subramanian, Christine E Gough, Richard P. Lion, Charles D Fraser has no financial or personal conflicts of interest to disclose regarding the commercial entities (or their competitors) mentioned in this manuscript.
© 2023 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.